Worse than I Imagined (Part II): Medicare

When I retired, Medicare became my primary health insurance, fully covered by American taxpayers (and federal debt-holders), while Anthem/Blue Cross became my secondary health insurance, fully covered by the University of California.  I will never have to spend a nickel of my Social Security benefits or inflation-adjusted defined retirement income on my health insurance.

But the entitlement system got worse for American taxpayers because my expensive prescription drugs were fully covered by Medicare or my private university-funded health insurane.  When I changed my cholesterol drug from Lipitor (because it caused muscle pains) to Crestor, my out-of-pocket payment rose, to my surprise, from nothing for Lipitor

to $90 for a three-month supply for Crestor.  Taxpayers and my insurance company were stuck with a greater increase in the drug’s cost than I was, since a three-month’s supply of Crestor costs nearly $700.  I covered a mere 13 percent of the total.  Another anti-inflammatory drug (which is only slightly more effective than ibuprofen) costs $70 a month, fully covered by taxpayers and insurance.

No wonder the federal government spent $70 billion in 2010 on prescription drugs under Medicare and billions more under Medicaid, and expects to spend nearly $1 trillion on Medicare prescription drugs from 2011 to 2019.

Last summer, my primary care doctor ordered a battery of blood tests for a slight urological problem.  I made my usual $20 copay for the initial visit, which was surely a minor portion of the total cost.  But, of course, I was never told what the charge would be.  The doctor sent me to a urologist who ordered more blood tests.  He also ordered a more invasive procedure, X-rays and a sonogram for the whole of the abdominal cavity.  When the sonogram revealed a potential kidney stone of uncertain size, he ordered more X-rays and an abdominal scan.

Amazingly, throughout my wandering the halls of the health care system, I never made a single payment, not even a meager copay after my initial $20 payment.  Moreover, not a single person — receptionist, nurse, technician or doctor — ever mentioned a price for anything.  All they ever discussed were test options,

which one doctor admitted were unlikely to uncover a serious health problem (since no problem had been found in two investigations over the past 15 years).  Without prices to guide me, I made the same choice everyone makes:  Bring on the tests!

When I asked the urologist why he and others never mentioned prices, he lamented how bad the absence of prices made the system but also confessed he couldn’t give me prices because he didn’t know what they would be.  His office would “make up” the charges and Medicare would make up the reimbursements.  He also admitted that doctors game the system by charging more than they expect to be reimbursed, because Medicare plays a similar game, knowing doctors game the system.  Medicare generally reimburses doctors less than requested, no matter how close their charges are to their true costs.

Health economists have long recognized that a major flaw in the health care market is that buyers (patients) have limited knowledge of what is good for them.  Doctors (supposedly all the time) know much more, which makes for the so-called problem of “asymmetric information.”  Most buyers rely on their doctor’s guidance.   The almost total absence of transparent prices leaves health care buyers far more ignorant than they need be.

Ironically, I might not have gone through as many tests and procedures if the Medicare and insurance systems had not lowered the reimbursements provided doctors by 5 percent between 1997 and 2005.  The Congressional Budget Office found that during that period total Medicare payments to doctors rose 35 percent.  As New York Times  columnist David Brooks noted, “Doctors made up in volume what they lost in reimbursement levels.”

Economists have long known that if prices are below costs, or nonexistent, buyers will exploit the system.  This is especially true when buyers think they have paid for their benefits through their past taxes.  But Medicare, like Social Security, is one huge Ponzi scheme.  When the elderly paid their Medicare taxes from the late 1960s to retirement, their payments were not saved for them to draw down in retirement.  No, their tax payments paid the health care costs of the then-retired generation — many of whom paid little in Medicare taxes.  Today’s elderly, me included, are consuming health care resources paid for by our children and grandchildren who work and pay Medicare taxes.

Indeed, according to the Urban Institute, today’s elderly will, on average, consume almost three times as much in health care resources as they paid in Medicare taxes. Thus, no one should be surprised that Medicare expenditures will double to $1 trillion over the next eight years.  A partial solution is relatively straightforward:  Add prices that force buyers to cover some of the costs, requiring them to weight the relative benefits of the services they consume.

Benefits should be curbed for the people who don’t need them, or who are using them for no higher social end than to increase the frequency of dining out or to buy more expensive cars more frequently — or, as in my family’s case, to cover privileged college educations and to protect substantial bequests to their children and grand children.

Richard McKenzie is a senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis.

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Gabriel Odom says:

I’ve had health insurance most of my life. But recently, my employment status and income has forced me to live without insurance. When I came down with the flu a month ago, I knew I needed to stay on budget, so I tried a CVS Minute Clinic. I was pleased with the results. All I needed was an antibiotic prescription, but I ended up paying about $130 for the visit and the medication.
    During the visit, the Nurse Practitioner asked me if I’d like a Strep Test for an additional $35. I gambled against the odds that I had strep through – I knew how I felt at the time, and I was fairly certain all I had was the flu and an ear infection. I said no.
    This got me thinking: How many times in the past have I said yes to some unnecessary test or another just because I wasn’t paying for it? I think that I would have been a much more responsible steward of someone else’s money if I was forced to pay even just 10% of the costs. Suddenly, I’m not sure I really need that MRI or those extra X-rays – one or two will be fine.

2. Pam says:

Those Minute Clinics are wonderful. The prices are posted on an electronic sign and at the CVS I shop at, there is even a maximum price posted per visit/procedure. Then my prescription is electronically sent to the pharmacist 20 feet away. I wish all health care was this transparent.

3. Mulligan says:

I wonder when wal-mart is going to move into the convenience care market. They’ve already got CVS in their crosshairs about prices.

4. EB says:

Richard, I appreciate your candidacy. I have somewhat the same situation with my former employer providing a mostly paid for retiree plan in the form of am Medicare Advantage model. However the employer did establish some common sense and necessary changes over the past few years in order to assure its sustainability. With adding separate deductibles for RX and other expenses and then imposing 20% coinsurance up to the max out of pocket limit, the participant sees the provider charges and the allowable charges–at least after the fact. The budgetable out of pocket expenses the participant bears is a reasonable trade off for a modest contribution. I can only hope the implementation of Obamacare will not trash what has been a workable approach for our thousands of retirees since Medicare Advantage became legal and prior to that utilizing Medicare Supplements. Perhaps the University will have to make similar adjustments in order to keep your plan afloat–although their revenue stream through tuition increases may defer such actiopn.

5. Janet O'Neal says:

My daughter owns a physical theraphy clinic and under the new Obama Care she may have to go out of busines. Her company has to cut 33.3 of her profit and that is about what she makes. She is thinking of everything she may be able to do in order not to let anyone go. She can cut back on the time she allows for each visit so she can take on more patiences’, but she has taken pride in the fact that she gives plenty of time to treat peoples’ body as well as their soul. As a believer she wants to do the right thing but isn’t sure she can make a living at this rate.
    Thanks President Obama, this is the problem you have created but I will still pray for you and trust that your soul can change.

6. Julianne says:

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand
    insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s methods, approach, and techniques to plastic surgery.
    They use high-end techniques, innovative surgical methods and state-of-art machines to deliver excellent result.
    The various types of plastic surgery on the face are:.

My web-site plastic surgery philadelphia (Julianne)

7. Eula says:

Metabolic syndrome is a combination of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a problem with sugar metabolism and obesity.
    each time you want to do something effective in making sure you can fit in those pants or that dress for the
    special occasion. You can have a look at them
    and then decide whether to choose one for you or not.

My web-site homeopathic remedies

8. Richie says:

Hi, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am too cheerful to share my familiarity here with mates.

Feel free to visit my weblog: fruit smash games (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kg.SmasherGames.FruitSliceSA)

9. Lavon says:

That will be everything else you have zero need to begin doing.

To sum up all, homeopathic hcg diet phase 2 may help you have rid of confusion of obesity.
    The whole basis of the HCG Diet is to eliminate fats; reset the diencephalon, thus changing
    the way fat is stored. Most women hesitate to calculate
    their own due date or estimated weeks of pregnancy because they
    aren’t sure they’ll do it accurately. Now you can’t laugh
    at those action-heavy decks because they have
    become a great way to produce cool abilities as well as earn VPs.
    The average HCG dieter experiences rapid weight loss averaging
    1 to 3 pounds per day, most aim to lose 30 pounds in 30
    days. In 1974, the Food and Drug Adminstration made it a
    requirement that h – CG labels contain a warning
    against using it for weight loss or fat redistribution. Carbohydrates can constitute a great
    problem for those wanting to lose weight. Being one
    of the best diet i – Phone apps on our list, the h –
    CG diet app features daily tracking on the app’s main screen, notes with checkboxes,
    real-time start and end date tracking, ability to store photos in all stages, photo tagging and emailing,
    progressive weight loss graph, progressive measurements graph, easy to follow reminders,
    notifications, and so much more. * Use a tailor’s measuring tape to take measurements every week so
    that you can track your weight loss in inches.

Check out my web blog – best selling hcg drops

10. Nydia says:

The sudden loss of hair could be a signal of
    an underlying medical problem that requires immediate treatment.
    One of the several conditions that men and women face is that of stress.
    Such medical conditions include thyroid problems, skin disorders caused by infection and diseases like Alopecia
    areata that interfere with your body’s immune system.

Here is my web-site … natural skin care products queensland

11. Lorrie says:

What kind of doctor can an individual get HCG from.

Look Before You Leap When Considering the HCG Diet. Whenever
    lowering the food consumption, it is important a thief
    lessen your usage a little bit.

my website … weight loss hcg hormone

12. Weldon says:

Many people will say it’s genetics, but that is not the
    case. This has however been made easier thanks to HCG supplements that
    come loaded with vitamin B12, minerals and amino acids that are likely
    to be absent in most diets for quick weight loss.

For you to avoid these side effects, it is necessary
    to take supplements, such as those recommended
    by Dr.

my web blog :: Weight Loss Road Map Hcg

13. Franziska says:

Just how much folic acid do you need to notice
    a difference in your hair growth. Oils such as jojoba, linseed, evening primrose,
    and shea butter moisturizes. Inlcude fish, whole grains,
    legumes, dairy products, and fresh fruits and vegetables to prevent wrinkles
    and maintain healthy skin.

Feel free to surf to my web page; clarisonic pro sonic

14. Cecile says:

The cost of the moving mainly depends on the large number of variables; some of the variables include
    quantity of things being moved, differences in prices between companies, distance to be covered, time
    duration that would be taken for the move, number of people involved in packing,
    loading and unloading. You are the only one will be hurt by this, so there is no
    reason not to be honest. Average cost of home survey report
    is $530 (£350).

Look into my web-site; moving services lafayette indiana

15. Lonnie says:

The whole process only take about 10 minutes from start to finish at most.

Also, you have to exfoliate your body before doing the
    airbrush tanning method. It is always better to switch over to
    the fake tanning method. What both these women share in common is their ability to wow an audience
    despite an occasional wardrobe malfunction or fashion mishap.

I haven’t yet tried a natural self tanner and I’m not sure I will but they do exist.

Your regular spray tan solution contains bronzers along
    with dihydroxyacetone (DHA) which is responsible for
    the sunless tan. With the sun kissed glow accentuating
    your looks you will be sure to turn many heads.
    Start from the bottom half of your body working your way up
    the upper half. When you have a spray tan it is not just about the tan, it is an opportunity to indulge yourself.
    The more sensitive your skin, the worst your results will be if you shave.

My web blog – best Fake Tan lotion australia

16. Mckinley says:

Next we had to consolidate the lands needed for the project, which took certain duration of time.
    You can spruce up the interior of your home by
    cleaning your carpets on a regular basis. If a refusal results then you should consider
    changing your managing agent. This implies
    that, the quantity of the charge is collected really
    should, essentially, the payment amount for the premises.
    The target for a typical scam could be your rental property (if you
    are the owner) or the home you think you just rented (if
    you are a tenant). If you simply take a course one step at a time and follow the instructions,
    you will be able to build a successful real estate
    investment empire. If a gross lease is not available, the tenant should negotiate the items to be included in CAM,
    the items that will not be included in CAM,
    and an annual cap or limit on expenses that
    landlord may attempt to pass through to tenant. At times it is necessary to
    post notices requiring the tenant to remedy a situation or a problem within a given time-frame and follow up with a re-inspection to make sure the problem
    is remedied. Wall Street became a major buyer and seller of these mortgages.
    May a Landlord evict a Section 8 tenant from their Property.

Here is my site :: real estate investors clubs east tn

17. Kassandra says:

With practice, the consumer can secure a natural looking tan quickly;
    some can complete the home spraying in just 10 minutes. Having a spray
    tan is not just about going through the motions, it is a great chance to relax.
    1) Build a base tan by limiting your tanning bed time to 20 or 30 minutes for starters, no more than 5 times a
    week;. Some of the spray tan procedures are not much
    as affected as the expectations are. Participants who accomplish the modules will get a diploma, meaning that they’ll be
    able to obtain public liability insurance. So,
    remember that beauty starts with healthy food choices while shopping for groceries.
    This will allow you see your lid clearly without having to touch them.
    The spray product is available in different varieties
    and quantities. Cost runs from $15-$35 and some businesses offer reduced rates
    via package pricing. Using a Baiden Mitten is a good idea for exfoliating before your tanning session.

Feel free to visit my web site – tanning tent

18. Bryan says:

The book the ‘The Weight Loss Cure’ popularized and resurrected the HCG diet.
    Using good times ahead for your weight loss situation can give you awesome results each time
    for the special occasion. For you to avoid these side effects, it is
    necessary to take supplements, such as those recommended by Dr.

My website; hcg drops for healthy weight loss yahoo